2005 Sequoia Limited 4wd

JaredB3000

Oct 26, 2019
Greetings all!

I'm super familiar with the lockout hub setup on the 90's pickups & 4runners, I've owned one of each of those back when I lived in MT.

These days I'm in Nashville, which is currently covered in an inch or so of snow and ice. I have to take a short semi-emergency trip to help out a friend soon, and wanted to ask a couple questions re. the 4wd system in my ride.

About 5 times a year I've been engaging 4wd hi and driving around a bit, then engaging 4wd low and driving it around a bit with the understanding that this would be useful to keep things from binding up. Until last night I was a bit unclear on using the center diff button, of which I had not been engaging during my little quick gravel road excursions to test the 4wd system.

I now have a fuller understanding of the system, and would prefer to drive in true 4wd high with center diff locked, but I may not engage the center diff if this is something that has not been done in a while (which could possibly cause problems?). With that concern in mind, heres my main question:

When 4wd is engaged, does it automatically kick in the center differential? If so then that means mine is working and I shouldnt have a problem engaging 4hi with center on...The following quote from this forum leads me to believe that 4lo always uses center diff:

3) AWD with locking center diff: 3 differentials. Front, center, rear. Center diff may be mechanically locked. Typically also has 4WD low-range gears. Driver can shift between 2WD, AWD, 4WD-hi (center diff locked), 4WD-low (center diff locked).

The Sequoia uses implementation #3.

Thanks for any input!

JaredB3000

Oct 26, 2019
To clarify that question better, I meant to say "when 4wd low is engaged..."

When 4wd low is engaged, does it automatically kick in the center differential? If so then that means mine is working and I shouldnt have a problem engaging 4hi with center on...The following quote from this forum leads me to believe that 4lo always uses center diff: