Aftermarket backup camera wiring tips?

littleroot

Dec 10, 2018
Hi, I'm going to attempt a backup camera install on a 2006 2WD SR5, more than likely a license plate install with a power link off the backup light, as that seems to work for most.

I could use some tips for the best/easiest way to get the video wire from the license plate to radio slot where I will be installing a new stereo with video display. Many of the videos I've seen for various cars just say "I ran it through the headliner". How is that possible and is that the best way for this?

Thank you for any advice!
Bob

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
There's a conduit in the upper portion of the hatch you can use to pass the wire and keep our water right.

Travis Mougeotte

Nov 23, 2018
I just installed a wired camera last weekend on our 05. Like stated above I routed from license plate up through the existing conduit to get into the headliner. From there I routed (with a wire feeder) alongside the passenger headliner. I did have to work around the ducting and grab handles but all in all was not too difficult. I then removed the passenger A-pilar and routed into the dash. Total time took about an hour. The hardest part was getting hands into the back side of the reverse lights to tap into wires. Be very conscious of wire routing in rear hatch as I had to redo it because the sliding window was catching on the wire. I made the mistake of buttoning up the rear hatch before running the window up and down a few times.