How to Install Rear Half Axle?

bass-o-matic

Jan 23, 2019
Austin
Hello.

2014 Sequoia. 2WD.
I had the back lifted 1.5 inches in the rear with spacers to level my trailer when towing. I don't like airbags.
A shop then did a 4 Wheel alignment.
A few months after that I noticed vibration when pulling and behold... the rear driver half axle boot was leaking. Maybe not related?
I allowed same shop to replace the half axle with an aftermarket half axle (They talked me into it... mistake possibly)
2 year now. Shop out of business.
Everything is fine unless I'm towing... under load, 3500lb trailer, uphill, i can "sense" a slight vibration in my pants. Not from too much beer or fiber.

I went under the truck.
I grabbed the Passenger side half axle, the Original Toyota axle, and if I try to rotate it ... no movement.
I grabbed the Driver side half axle, The aftermarket, I can rotate it just a tiny bit... a milimeter... or like a 32nd of an inch... just enough to bum me out.

I will probably take this to my local shop for further diagnosis... because I guess it coooould be something else? balance of tires?

Question 1: Is that play in the axle too much?

Question 2: How much should I care? Is it just annoying or will it break OTHER things? Like the diff... or the other axle... I don't see how.

Question 3: The stealership wants $1300 to replace it! ( add angry face here ) There is some talk of having to remove the diff? really? that sounds nuts to me. Is there a good write up on this? I can get the original Toyota part from Toyota or parts monster for $400.... I mean...it should come complete with boots and grease and pull the old one out... grease the splines... put the new one in... unless I'm missing the heck out of something. Can't seem to find a YouTube video or write up on this particular issue. lot's of first gen stuff.

Anyway, any help appreciated!