How to remove rear hatch window weatherstrip?

Dake

Oct 27, 2020
Hi all, first post about my new-to-me 2002 Sequoia. Gotta say, I'm really enjoying calling it a tree. The trim piece on the exterior side of the hatch glass is hard as a rock, and that means the built-in wiper element is too, so dry that it's starting to scratch the glass when I roll it up and down. Being that one of my favorite things about driving the Tree is that back window, I ordered a new OEM piece from the dealer to replace it with. That should have a fresh wiper element that will be less likely to scratch the glass if particles get in there. Now I'm not sure how the old piece comes off but I know I don't want to damage the paint. Has anyone done this or could lend some insight? It would be much appreciated, I don't want to pay the dealer $50 to do it if it's easy enough to do myself.

The part in question is 68290A toward the top center of the image. It was about $87 at the dealer.

Attachments

• hatch trim part number.JPG
    hatch trim part number.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 17

Dake

Oct 27, 2020
Okay everyone, I received the piece and installed it successfully. It was very easy to remove. It is secured using 7 plastic tabs that slide down into the hatch panel.

To remove it, with the window rolled down I used a needle-nose plier and grabbed an edge and pulled straight up (circled in photo). This edge was inside the car and not near paint. This section has metal inside it to maintain the shape so it made a good place to grab. With moderate force it popped right out on that side, then I worked my way across popping the rest of the tabs out. Clean underneath the trim piece while it's out.

When reinstalling, the tabs align the piece so there is really no way to misalign it. Before seating the piece make sure all your tabs are on the inside where they should be and the hatch seal is not pinched on either side. When you're ready, push each tab down one at a time lightly on the first pass, then do a second pass and push hard on each one to seat them all into place.

I replaced this piece instead of repainting it because my glass was actually getting scratched on account of the felt liner being so dry and brittle and collecting particles. Once it was off the car the felt disintegrated in my hands. Because of this I watered the glass before rolling it down.

The piece was $80.65 + tax at the dealership.

I found some really good help on the TSOR Facebook page as well as some others who were asking the same question, so if you're here reading this, especially if you're looking for help, go join the Facebook page!

Images: 1) The state of my existing trim piece and some of the scratches it left behind. 2) The tab I pulled on circled in red. 3) The new trim piece with fresh felt and 7 white tabs. 4) The new piece looks great on the car.

Attachments

• forum scratches.JPG
    forum scratches.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 18
  • forum circled.jpg
    forum circled.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 12
  • forum felt liner and tabs.jpg
    forum felt liner and tabs.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 15
  • forum new piece on.JPG
    forum new piece on.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 15

Dake

Oct 27, 2020
I made a short video detailing this process for the visually motivated among us.