just replaced Exhaust System now oxygen sensor code

bear15

Sep 30, 2017
We have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia with 86,000 miles and just had the entire exhaust system replaced from the manifolds all the way back to the tailpipe (including catalytic converters) at a muffler shop. After driving it for 200 miles or so the check engine light came on and the code indicates a problem with both Oxygen Sensors.

Any ideas on what might be causing this and possible solutions?

Thanks, Ed

bear15

Sep 30, 2017
It sounds like we may need to replace both sensors. If so, any suggestions on a place we can purchase them for a good price? Also, is this a fairly easy installation knowing we are working with new parts?

bear15

Sep 30, 2017
Well I purchased 2 DENSO 234-4162 Oxgen Sensors and plan to install them next week. Although I had no engine lights on before they worked on it, the shop said they should have been replaced during the job and would not take any blame-- oh well.

Any tips/tricks I should be aware of before I do the installation?

Thanks, ed

It sounds like we may need to replace both sensors. If so, any suggestions on a place we can purchase them for a good price? Also, is this a fairly easy installation knowing we are working with new parts?

bear15

Sep 30, 2017
If changing the sensors does not fix it, which I am told it is not likely, we may need to go this route. Can you help us with how to find an 02 delete kit and what is involved in completing the job? Thanks for any help, Ed

Well I purchased 2 DENSO 234-4162 Oxgen Sensors and plan to install them next week. Although I had no engine lights on before they worked on it, the shop said they should have been replaced during the job and would not take any blame-- oh well.

Any tips/tricks I should be aware of before I do the installation?

Thanks, ed

Rob

Familiar Member
Apr 4, 2017
Did you ever get this solved? If not research "spark plug non fouler on 02 sensors"

Basically makes the sensor a little further away from the gas stream in the 02 port.

When you get aftermarket cats, these engines don't seem to like them. Granted in Colorado I pass emissions with a catalyst inefficient code. (Leaking manifold).

bear15

Sep 30, 2017
I changed the 2 back sensors and the check engine light has not come back on after a few hundred miles of travel. So I think I might be ok.

Did you ever get this solved? If not research "spark plug non fouler on 02 sensors"

Basically makes the sensor a little further away from the gas stream in the 02 port.

When you get aftermarket cats, these engines don't seem to like them. Granted in Colorado I pass emissions with a catalyst inefficient code. (Leaking manifold).