Loxman build

Loxman

Feb 23, 2019
Vehicle Drivetrain
2wd
Vehicle Year
After having my SR5 Sequoia for a few months. There was a swashbuckling effect happing that I wasn't liking. So, I replaced the sway bars to a TRD Sway bar.(front, and back axles) It did improve, some. Then, I was wanting to replace the tires.

Loxman

Feb 23, 2019
In the meantime, I have been doing some researching. These gray rims was driving me nuts. So, I have been looking on Craigslist. I found some Tundra rims. They where put aside.

Loxman

Feb 23, 2019
So, tires was next on my list. I looked at many different tires. Nittos Ridge Grapplers, or Falken Wildpeak AT3W was on my short list. I have the Nittos on my Tacoma. I liked them and they are pretty aggressive looking. So, I kept looking at the tread. The Sequoia was a little mild manor. So, I choose the Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

Loxman

Feb 23, 2019
I decide to put a lift on it. I found a few links. And there I found my biggest problem. The rear axle!!!. The rearend was an IRS design. It required a coil spring compressor. This was a whole new game for me. So, I went and bought a set of springs from 1stgenoffroad.com. I bought an OME ARB 2864. I took it to a shop. They had my Sequoia lifted. And realized, they didn't have the time to work on it. I found another place to work it. They had the spring off and ready to install the new one. One look at the size difference of the two springs. They said, it was too big for the Sequoia. There was a three inch difference in height. I had them put the old spring back in. And I made a call to the business I bought them from. He said, it will work. So, I bought that special compressor required for the job. I got a co-worker to help me replace the springs. It took us 9 hours.

Loxman

Feb 23, 2019
I measured the rear end height. 26 inches. Oh, crap 5 inch increase. I put Bilstein shocks in the rear. Done!!! I had to adjust my thinking because of height. I had The Bilstein 6112 for the front and it was on tthe lowest setting. I adjusted the spring clip to the middle setting (3.3 inch increase). The data I was reading, said, the middle setting was the max I could go with a 2wd. I was very concerned about the alignment issues. So, I bought the SPC upper control arms. Well, really I had them already. But now, I really had to install them. So with the new shocks, and upper control arms it turned out to be 24 inches in the front. (Center of wheel to fender). I have a two inch rake. From back to front. The look isn't so bad. And the head lights are perfect. I didn't have to make any adjustments.

Loxman

Feb 23, 2019
So, as I was having my wheels installed. The wheel and tire installer said, The wheels are not going to fit. WTH, what now? So, the wheels will interfere with the upper control arms. I bought some 1.25 inch spacers. Hoping not to use them. Well, it turns out I needed them. Now, I am going to have to get different wheels soon.

Loxman

Feb 23, 2019
The fist picture is stock, and the second picture is how it presently sits.

Attachments

• 20200713_202435.jpg
    20200713_202435.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 67
  • 20200903_032244.jpg
    20200903_032244.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 67

Loxman

Feb 23, 2019
I'm wanting to get a locking rear differential. This will help in any mild off-roading incounters I come across.

bleesersprint

Jan 5, 2020
Looks great! I had a similar experience with lifting the rear end. Took my 2012 Limited to a boutique 4WD shop to install the OME heavy duty springs. He broke two compressors in the process and said he’d never work on a 2nd Gen Sequoia again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: RemoteBound