My suspension recipe...

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
If your looking for a good every day kit that can handle just about anything this is what I suggest. This setup works very well with aftermarket bumpers and 285/70/17 tires.

Best part is pricing. I just priced the springs and shocks for front and back and it's $850!shipped. I'm going to look into this more.

Paul and I are both running this setup so I will let him speak to what he thinks of it.
  • OME Lift Kit
    • Front
      • Old Man Emu 2885 Springs
      • Old Man Emu 90004 Struts
      • Top Strut Mount for 1996-2002 4Runner
      • Front sway bar poly endlinks and mounts.
    • Rear
      • Old Man Emu 2865 Springs
      • Old Man Emu 60002 Shocks
    • Differential Drop Kit
    • Rear disconnect on the rear sway bar
Next to install are some adjustable lower control arms for the rear.

Last edited:

paulstoute

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 28, 2016
Portland, OR
stoutewebsolutions.com
I like this kit as it's a good mix of solid driving for daily use, and it still flexes off-road like a softer spring rate. I'm extremely happy with this set up.

I still need to install the Smola Made rear disconnects, but even with the sway bar hooked up, I have plenty of travel.

Reactions: Jim Smola

DoLittleDailey

Feb 2, 2017
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a lift. Was planning on going with the Toytec Boss 3" adjustable lift. What's the overall rideheight increase with this setup? Thx guys!

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
On
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a lift. Was planning on going with the Toytec Boss 3" adjustable lift. What's the overall rideheight increase with this setup? Thx guys!

Depending on weight added to truck you will net between 3"-4"

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Also, do they have a diff drop kit?

Any diff drop kit will work. I got mine off of eBay. You can re-use your strut mounts but may take a very little bit of modifieing. Honestly the rubber insulator between the spring and strut had to be trimmed but I have had no ill effects. So I have Sequoia mounts and Paul has the 4 runner. Strut mounts can be ordered almost anywhere. You can call ARB direct and see what pricing is for the for the springs, struts and shocks.

DoLittleDailey

Feb 2, 2017
Well... I just pulled the trigger on all those item. All off Amazon. Lift components and wheel spacers for less than $1200, not bad... I'll post before and after pics soon. Thx again for the help guys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Well... I just pulled the trigger on all those item. All off Amazon. Lift components and wheel spacers for less than $1200, not bad... I'll post before and after pics soon. Thx again for the help guys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also in the future if you put a ton of weight on the front end and it sags, you can get 1/4" inch spacers to lift. You can also use just one one a side to help if one side ends up sagging more than the other. People refer to these more as shims if used to level.

DoLittleDailey

Feb 2, 2017
Hey guys, suspension parts are starting to show up, getting excited! I'm having trouble rounding up the polyurethane sway bar mounts and end link bushings. Did you happen to recall what you used?
Thx

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Hey guys, suspension parts are starting to show up, getting excited! I'm having trouble rounding up the polyurethane sway bar mounts and end link bushings. Did you happen to recall what you used?
Thx

I got the poly bar mounts on eBay
My local auto parts store carries these.
IMG_7658.JPG

DoLittleDailey

Feb 2, 2017
a06683182a51e1cc6eb66afb6a5130af.jpg

DoLittleDailey

Feb 2, 2017
Got the lift done a few weeks ago, turned out real nice, feel nice and responsive, not harsh at all! About 3½-4" overall. Thanks so much for the help guys, really appreciate it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DoLittleDailey

Feb 2, 2017
Took the better part of one day. Only had/have 2 issues...
1) the 96-02 4runner top strut mounts wouldn't work for me, just reused the OE.
2) I used the energy suspension sway bar components. They are noisy! They creak something awful whenever I break and or accelerate.
Any experience with this issue?

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Took the better part of one day. Only had/have 2 issues...
1) the 96-02 4runner top strut mounts wouldn't work for me, just reused the OE.
2) I used the energy suspension sway bar components. They are noisy! They creak something awful whenever I break and or accelerate.
Any experience with this issue?

Mine are all quite as a mouse. Maybe you will have to put grease on all the poly surfaces.

Nat

Mar 27, 2017
I just found this site a few days ago and am stoked to see other Sequoias. I was also looking at the Toytec Boss kit. What are the advantages of installing the parts you list here instead? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk