New to forums

Anthony81

Dec 12, 2022
My name is Tony, I live in Charleston S.C. I have a 2006 Sequoia Limited 267K Miles. Still runs great! 35" Toyo A/T Tires, 4" lift, Magna-flo exhaust system, took off resonator, cold air intake. I just installed the roof rack, took off the running boards as well. I'm here to share my mechanical expertise, and to learn from you all. I've been a mechanic for over 25 years. This is my first Toyota, I can't be happier with it.

rockheadjc

Jul 10, 2023
Welcome Tony. This isn’t a very active forum. Unfortunately, there aren’t enough Sequoia owners that are mechanical guys like you and me.

That said, I have 2 Sequoias. A 2010 Limited and a 2018 Platinum.

I have a mechanical question for you. My 2010 has 286k miles. I recently replaced the original starter. Total PITA to change.
Since I’ve replaced it, the engine sounds like it has developed a knock after a cold start. Once warmed up, it goes away. I’ve never heard this sound before. Kinda freaks me out. No CEL.
I also had a few other issues, but they’re ok now.

Anthony81

Dec 12, 2022
Hey, if it started after you replaced the starter, I wonder if the starter is dragging after you crank it up. Did you put on oem or an aftermarket starter? Is your oil pressure good when you start it? Could be a coincidence.

rockheadjc

Jul 10, 2023
Hey, if it started after you replaced the starter, I wonder if the starter is dragging after you crank it up. Did you put on oem or an aftermarket starter? Is your oil pressure good when you start it? Could be a coincidence.
It’s an aftermarket. I bench tested it and it was fine. Doesn’t sound like a dragging of the starter. Possibly coincidental.

It sounds like a legit knock.
Oil psi is fine and fluctuates with rise and fall of rpm’s. It’s so strange.

Anthony81

Dec 12, 2022
Hmm, do you change your own oil? I have heard of places that sabotagee Oil filters and cause problems. I would try an additive before losing hope. I had a knock in a old Blazer with a 4.3. I bought some prolong and it stopped. Ran for another 3000 miles before it went. You said it had a lot of miles on it, but still.. those are tuff engines. I have heard lifters sound like rod bearings. I always run a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer when I do an oil change. I thought mine was trying to knock. So far so good. I'll ask my Brother, he works on yotas all the time.

rockheadjc

Jul 10, 2023
Hmm, do you change your own oil? I have heard of places that sabotagee Oil filters and cause problems. I would try an additive before losing hope. I had a knock in an old Blazer with a 4.3. I bought some prolong and it stopped. Ran for another 3000 miles before it went. You said it had a lot of miles on it, but still.. those are tuff engines. I have heard lifters sound like rod bearings. I always run a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer when I do an oil change. I thought mine was trying to knock. So far so good. I'll ask my Brother, he works on yotas all the time.
I do change my own oil. Fact is, I don’t let any mechanic work on my truck.

So I tried this yesterday-I poured in 20W-50 Royal purple synthetic motorcycle oil. I know, I’m crazy.
The noise was non existent on a cold start and it drove like it hasn’t in a while. Really smooth. Knock didn’t come back either. When I get home from work, I’ll start it up again and see what it sounds like.
It’s very possible that it is what you said-lifter noise.

GORK

Jul 14, 2020
Heck yeah, that should do it! Hopefully it holds together.
Hi Tony, Welcome to the forum. My name is Ken and I live in South Florida and own a 2003 SR5 With about 147,000 miles on it. I do as much work on it as I can with the exception of the more complicated stuff such as changing the timing belt or more recently, replacing rear wheel bearings which I farm out to a neighbor who is a full-time tech for Subaru but works out of his garage on weekends and seems to have that magic touch.
I agree with you that the truck is great and very likely is my forever vehicle.
I think that a lot of Sequoia owners don't know that this forum exists which is why we may not have as much action on it as we would like.
I just wanted to introduce myself and once again, welcome to the forum.