Unanswered Noisy Steering

mnwanders

Feb 9, 2017
Vehicle Drivetrain
4wd
Vehicle Year
Hi everyone,
Just yesterday my steering became suddenly very noisy and a little sluggish. Looking for some advice on how to tackle this problem. I have not investigated too much into this problem yet, but here is what I know so far.
1) The power steering fluid reservoir is full.
2) The vehicle is leaking a small amount of clear fluid from the right/passenger side of the engine.

that's all I know right now. Very limited I know. This afternoon I plan to check all of the lines between the reservoir, pump and rack and then maybe flush the system. I only know to do this after some very limited internet research right now. Funds are tight these days so I would like to do this myself if at all possible. So i am looking for tips on how to tackle the full diagnosis and fix. Also, how problematic is it to drive with it this way for a couple days in case I can't fix it all today? I commute about 10 miles round trip all on city streets.

Thanks for the help!

mnwanders

Feb 9, 2017
It is very clear now that the rack and pinion is leaking pretty bad at the right boot. I assume this is a full replacement, or is there a way to replace that seal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
If the seal is leaking, try a cap full of brake fluid in the power steering reservoir. Brake fluid is a very good re conditioner of rubber and can help swell the seal.