Potential Owner

BAM

Jan 16, 2019
I'm looking to pick up an 05/06 Limited 4wd. Currently scouring the interwebs to find the best deal. Other than the frame issue, lower ball joint concerns and making sure timing belt has been address and good maintenance records have been kept, are there any other common issues or concerns I should be on the lookout for? I'm looking for something under 200K as this will be a DD and tow vehicle for a small travel trailer (3,000lb).

Thanks in advance for the help. Really looking forward to being part of the club!

GTV

Dec 5, 2018
Congrats, I haven't even had my 05 for two weeks and I'm loving it. I chose an SR5 version partly to avoid the rear air suspension and the potential to fail. Definitely do a Carfax, also there is quite a few other sources of information on vehicle history online. Do a search for 'free vehicle history report', I was amazed at what I could find by just typing in a VIN. I too was looking for one with under 200k but ended up buying a truck with a lot of miles, 256k (now 259k, I drove it home straight away from Chicago to Seattle). It was a one owner vehicle that was always serviced at the dealer, looked super clean inside and out. Since the miles are so high, it was cheap $3,750, I couldn't say no. It still drives amazingly well, I doubt if it performs any differently than it did at 159k or 59k miles. My point is this, don't let miles scare you away from a good buy. If it has been well taken care of then miles aren't really that big of a deal on these things. The 4.7 can (and has in a 07 Tundra) gone a million miles. Mine will also be my daily driver, and occasional tow rig. There's no doubt in my mind that it will be reliable for years to come. Moving on, the rear hatch handle breaks often, the steering rack will probably have to be replaced at around 200-250k (that's the only major issue that I've found with my truck), the rear doglegs behind the rear passenger doors are known to rust... But that's about it. General maintenance. Good luck with your search!