Prinsu Roof rack for 2nd gen

gavia75217

Aug 17, 2020
Vehicle Drivetrain
4wd
Vehicle Year
Is there a prinsu roof rack for 2017 Sequoia? If so, any thoughts and pics would be awesome.

Oinco

Dec 28, 2020
IIRC someone did a minor amount of fab work to pull together a Tundra set and it looked great... maybe SDHQ if I recall?

MagmaFJ

Oct 8, 2019
So to give the details. This rack is a Prinsu front wind deflector for a Tundra, side rails (with a lot of cutting and grinding) for a 1st Gen Sequoia from Sherpa. And the 80/20 cross bars from Tnutz.com. The mount brackets are partly from Sherpa and partly fabricated. I also modded a 4Runner ladder from Victory 4x4.
All in all it looks freaking amazing if I do say so myself. Before I started this I asked around from about 2nd Gen Sequoia Racks. No one had one though later Victory got back to me and said they have one and are starting to make modes for us. So keep an eye on them.
The roof mounts took a lot of work so I would not recommend this mod unless you are handy in the shop or know a good fabricator.
4DBA1FA9-AC14-45FA-A9C3-7C7B15236835.jpeg

Reactions: RonPr

Oinco

Dec 28, 2020
Nice work Magma! I am surprised how well the roofline seems to work with the Gen1 sideplates. Any chance you have a side-on pic?

MagmaFJ

Oct 8, 2019
It actually didn’t. The first gen curves more. I had to cut and grind the front point and about two feet of the back. It was a lot of time with the angle grinder with a cut off wheel and a belt sander. A different rack might have been a better starting point. I suspect the late model land cruiser roof is a closer match
The worst part was the mount hole spacing. The second GEN roof rack mounts have holes about an inch further apart. Also since the roof curve was different the mounts were angled wrong.
if anyone wants one like this I suggest emailing Victory4x4 and urging them to make one. I know they have a second gen sequoia on hand so if there is enough interest maybe they will whip up a design.

Farnsrocket

Mar 14, 2021
So to give the details. This rack is a Prinsu front wind deflector for a Tundra, side rails (with a lot of cutting and grinding) for a 1st Gen Sequoia from Sherpa. And the 80/20 cross bars from Tnutz.com. The mount brackets are partly from Sherpa and partly fabricated. I also modded a 4Runner ladder from Victory 4x4.
All in all it looks freaking amazing if I do say so myself. Before I started this I asked around from about 2nd Gen Sequoia Racks. No one had one though later Victory got back to me and said they have one and are starting to make modes for us. So keep an eye on them.
The roof mounts took a lot of work so I would not recommend this mod unless you are handy in the shop or know a good fabricator.
View attachment 2168

Looks great!
I am building my own rack right now. Are you able to get some more pics of your mounting brackets? What did you have to do to modify them?
That's my biggest issue right now is dealing with the goofy roof angle with the mounting holes! :mad:
Thanks!

MagmaFJ

Oct 8, 2019
I got clever to match the angle by copying someone more clever.
Check out these level adjustable mounts from Sherpa https://sherpaequipmentco.com/collections/components/products/adjustable-leveling-mounts

They don’t work on the 2nd gen sequoia because the roof hole spacing is wider. But I used the idea they had of making the mount out of two pieces.
(The aluminum over the top is a z channel mount holding a Pelican case on to the 80-20 cross bar)
7EE845E7-C01A-421F-9E6E-27CC070A2A52.jpeg

This is one of my poorly made rear mounts, the bottom part is aluminum L channel flattened with some hammering after annealing with a MAP touch. The top part is cut from one of the Sherpa brackets. The middle brackets worked as is from Sherpa and the front bracket needed to be lengthened by putting a strip of metal under it.

Here is a shot of one of my front brackets the middle bolt is actually a T-bolt upside down. The flange is squashed into the rubber I put underneath. The far bolt is through the aluminum bar into the roof. A bit of a kludge but from a distance you can’t see any of that.
A672369D-A259-4425-8CA5-533E6F58B593.jpeg

Reactions: Farnsrocket

MagmaFJ

Oct 8, 2019
The ladder itself is 5 main pieces. The body of the ladder is perfect. The top plate needs some reshaping to lay more flat. The top part which goes between the ladder and the mounting plate I fabricated a replacement (three bends and some cutting and drilling).
1621528126903.jpeg
if you see the top right corner of the ladder sticks up higher? That is the plate I fabricated which is not the best of work. Someone better could’ve made it look better. It is hard to describe but if you think of the body of the ladder itself as a U shape facing the truck, the very top step is a separate piece that fits inside the U. The top mounting plate attaches under the top step and goes forward to the hatch. The contours of the top of the hatch are the only big difference between the four runner and the sequoia. In the pic below you can see how the overall shape lines up well. I was worried I would have to cut and re angle the main part of the ladder but it fit nicely. The bottle mount also needs a small bend. Just a little tweak. Not a “fold”. I told Victory 4x4 thy really should sell different top plates and market the ladder for the sequoia.

The mod as not “bad” but I would not try it unless you are hand with sheet metal or know a good fab shop.

Attachments

• D7D42130-85FA-42AB-B1E1-6A73EC18F415.jpeg
    D7D42130-85FA-42AB-B1E1-6A73EC18F415.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

MagmaFJ

Oct 8, 2019
The crossbars on mine, just like the Prinsu the Sherpa rack and the Victory4x4 rack (for sale now) are 1x2inch 80/20. This is a standard industrial slotted bar used for in many lab and factory applications. It is super easy to find the mounting hardware. And mounts you get from any of those three companies (and others) all fit each other’s racks.

Reactions: RemoteBound

MagmaFJ

Oct 8, 2019
The 80/20 racks (prinsu, victory, Sherpa) have a different slot configuration than the gobi and forerunner racks (which are also good racks)

RemoteBound

Jun 29, 2021
Nashville, TN
Oh I see!
So if I wanted to mount Rotopax, a Pelican case, MaxTrax, etc., which rack do you think would be easier to use? Gobi or Victory?

MagmaFJ

Oct 8, 2019
Ease of use I would rate them about the same. Mainly I very much prefer the look of the victory rack. My wife was hesitant about the Gobi but soon as she saw one of the victory/prince to style she insisted that’s what she wanted on her Sequoia. And I know that style of rock will eat all those things you list and much more. I currently have two pelican cases, a Rotopax four maxtrax, a spare tire and an awning, with room to spare.

0DFE3DCF-1A49-426F-9F0B-97015E3CFE65.jpeg

Attachments

• 2DEB4E4E-7B6D-412B-9A10-FD57F2C1ECB7.jpeg
    2DEB4E4E-7B6D-412B-9A10-FD57F2C1ECB7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: RemoteBound