Rear lift gate rubs slightly when opening????

Mammoth863

May 2, 2019
Winter Haven Florida
I’ve got a 04’ Sequoia with a weird mis-aligned tailgate. I noticed when I open the tailgate it rubs slightly (metal to metal) on the top passenger side. I wasn’t sure if anyone has had this same issue and was able to realign it or if it’s a common problem. It closes fine and from the look of it it’s barely off cause nothing looks off. No accidents, clean carfax. Thanks in advanced.

A Wisco Kid

Nov 22, 2018
Central Wisconsin
I just noticed past weekend , mine too! Upper right passenger side but inside if the hinge, it’s worn off the paint on gate and roof. My shock support upper ball joint was creaky, I lubricated it up (it covered up the very slight sound of the rub of gate and roof. But yes also mine it all seems aligned, flush, bolts and hinges are tight. Idk, I’m stumped a bit on it. I’d like to maybe take a block and pound with a sledge on roof, get to bend a 1/8 inch or so? I didn’t have time to check if I had the clearance with removing the tailgate. So I can at least primer and touch up and a clear to keep from rusting...

Truck is new to me in Jan/Feb. I think it was prol slightly bent roof out, squished one winter with prev owner thick ice or snow buildup? I have roof hail damage so dimpled a lot up there. But you inquired, and you’re not alone....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mammoth863

May 2, 2019
Winter Haven Florida
I’ve heard Sequoia’s have a lot of lift gate issues from other owners but your the only one that has the same damn issue I’m having. I’m taking mine to a local body shop to see what they recommend/can do to get it to clear. I’ve been told by other Sequoia owners “Just don’t use the lift gate” but that’s not an option for me. As soon as take it in I’ll let you know what they say, hopefully there’s a easy fix.

Mammoth863

May 2, 2019
Winter Haven Florida
Hey man, just an update. I got up there with an 1-1/2” by 1/2” piece of wood and a hammer and lightly tapped inward the area that was rubbing and it’s clear now. There was two areas that needed the most correction but it’s not rubbing. Just a heads up you will cause a little bend in the lip but it’s on the top and not noticeable from eye level. If you need a pic of mine let me know.