Repaired Factory JBL Door Speakers

natefontaine

Feb 23, 2019
Just got a new to me bone stock 2006 Limited Tree. Pretty much perfect condition but the front door speakers where obviously needed to be replaced. You could hear slapping and rattling sounds. did some researching and decided that replacing the speakers did not sound like a good option. Found a company called Simply Speakers that had a replacement foam kit for 30 bucks.

Watched their YouTube video for the repair prior to attempting it myself.com

Cutting away the foam from the speaker was easy and gluing the new foam was a just as easy.

Sounds flawless now.

Anyone considering replacing blown speakers should attempt this first.
8c0c732800902e291622a8eb2ecc7794.jpg
16262b46ee9cb9e60c993bcd4c19c917.jpg
99ddb8c65c507d2e717bc40d724ca94f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: J4roe

MMMMelons

Apr 24, 2020
Lake Stevens, Wa.
Just did Simply Speakers repair kit myself. Wow! I listened to my blown speakers for years. Then decided I needed a new system. Speakers, amp, Head Unit, etc. I replaced the foam on the Speakers for $30.00 and decided now that I need nothing. Original JBL System Sounds Awesome! If you have blown speakers, just buy their kit and repair. It is easy.

916z06

Nov 14, 2019
I was looking at redoing the replacement foams but found some replacement PB speakers that matches the OEM 2 OHM speakers and decided to go that route. It sounds amazing with the new speakers, I also replaced the rear speakers with some 4 ohm 6.5s and it took a big hit on sound. It was alot lower that the factory 6.5s, but I had blown them out with my new indash. Will look to replace the rear with a 2 ohm speaker in the future or something close.

J4roe

Mar 10, 2021
Just bought an 04 with typical condition front JBL's. Found out about Simply Speakers and thought to myself $30 isn't bad. Considering that I read the entire system is low impedance and you're virtually screwed if you want to just replace the door speakers with stock head unit and amps. CAN OF WORMS as they say... So of course, because I'm stubborn, I went on Amazon and realized that I could get a decent pair of door speakers for just a marginal amount more than $30. I'm spending $30 to repair speakers or $55-65 for completely brand new 2021tech... Not saying the JBL system is bad. It isn't. I just don't hippity hop to the first reasonable solution. I like it the hard way. My brain is wired weird. The GF (common law wife) and I intend on installing an double din Android unit in the very near future so I thought if that's the case, can I use the stock system amps and speakers with double din? Answer: Yes. Of course there's nuance to that. I read that you will need this harness to bypass system. No, I want to use the system but replace head unit. I dug deep. Real deep. Down the rabbit hole I went. I felt like I was on mushrooms but maybe that was just the weed. (legal in AZ please don't ban me for this statement). I came across an Amazon review or YouTube video showing the correct harness by Metra to connect the stock JBL system including amps up to a new double din head unit. The problem was, it wasn't an Amazon prime buy and the shipping was vague, you know, the will arrive anytime in the next 16 days??? Nah, I ain't about that life you feel me???? So, stubborn man that I am I continued down the rabbit hole of Amazon listings until I came across another harness that was the exact same thing but an off brand... BUT it had two day Amazon Prime shipping so I bought it.... Capitalism wins again!!!! For the guy that won, the other lister needs to step their game up. They just lost a sale based on shipping. Sad really.

Anyways, after I bought the harness I got distracted and went down another rabbit hole and wound up on YouTube watching some guy CAUK his JBL speakers because he was too cheap to buy the simply speakers kit... I thought to myself.... WHAT A COMPLETE FRICKEN ......... HEROOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! This guy. Pry just shorted simply speakers out of $30...

Long story short, I popped off the door panels and to my surprise the foam wasn't in bad shape. The foam had just come unglued from the ring. That's when it hit me. This speakers destiny was FLEX SEAL. Did a quick two coat flex seal job and then marine gooped the plastic top ring back onto the top while laying the speaker upside down allowing it's own weight glue the flex sealed ring back down.

All in all. The speakers sound brand new like it's 2004 in the display section of Circuit City!! PARTY ON!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!

Still planning on going double din and utilizing the harness that I purchased and more than likely adding a subwoofer. Let the tweets, highs and mids be controlled by the stock amps and run one mono amp to the double dinner for the add on sub and BOBS YOUR UNCLE!

I will bless the forum with some amazing pictures that I captured while doing this incredibly exhausting and very labor intensive MOD.

Cheers!

Joe

Jimbo

Nov 8, 2022
I got my sequoia a few weeks age, and had the front speakers blown, I used the rear ones till I got the foam replacements for the speakers. followed the instructions that I found on youtube. WOW what a difference, like night and day. And they are alot cheaper than having to replace your speakers. Got another set of foams for when the rears blow out.

seenhear

Jan 9, 2023
Just bought an 04 with typical condition front JBL's. Found out about Simply Speakers and thought to myself $30 isn't bad. Considering that I read the entire system is low impedance and you're virtually screwed if you want to just replace the door speakers with stock head unit and amps. CAN OF WORMS as they say...
snip
All in all. The speakers sound brand new like it's 2004 in the display section of Circuit City!! PARTY ON!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!

Still planning on going double din and utilizing the harness that I purchased and more than likely adding a subwoofer. Let the tweets, highs and mids be controlled by the stock amps and run one mono amp to the double dinner for the add on sub and BOBS YOUR UNCLE!

I will bless the forum with some amazing pictures that I captured while doing this incredibly exhausting and very labor intensive MOD.

Cheers!

Joe

Hey Joe, thanks for the fun read. I got an even cheaper solution that I just finished up: simply remove the front woofers. LOL

I removed them in order to assess and maybe repair them. While they are out on my work bench waiting for me to find time to dink around with them, I figured "HEY the mids are still good!" so I put the brackets with the mids sans woofers, back in the doors and wired them up, leaving the connector for the woofers dangling.

Given the rear door speakers are the same size and frequency response as the front door woofers (just missing the mids) it all sounds actually not too bad. I'll still repair and/or replace the front woofers (and maybe the rears eventually if they start rattling) but in the mean time, the Tree is sounding pretty solid. Much improved actually than it was with the rattling front woofers.

Also, you should check out Crutchfield for your head unit. They will create the correct wiring harness you need to use the stock JBL amplifier and keep steering wheel volume & track skip controls functioning. It costs a bit extra, but their customer service is top notch and worth it. I just installed a new double din Kenwood unit from them, (Kenwood Excelon DPX395MBT) with their custom harness. I got them on the phone during install to explain a couple things for me and it was awesome. Like the guy was sitting there in the car with me he knew his stuff so well. Also the tech who helped me was the person who answered the phone. No phone-menu-nav-hell. With their harness I had zero soldering or crimping to do. Plug and play.

FYI, that Kenwood 395 unit is great - not Android Auto, but we always have the phone mounted anyway, so no need to duplicate the android screen. The Kenwood 395 has fully featured Bluetooth and an app that allows control from a phone (kid in back row for example). Saves me $200-ish over the Android Auto unit I was considering (an Alpine). Also if you listen to radio, this Kenwood has a very good tuner.

seenhear

Jan 9, 2023
Finally got around to replacing the foam surrounds on my front door woofers. As others have said it was pretty easy. It took me about an hour to do the removal and clean up of the old surrounds. Carefully cutting away the old glue and foam from the paper cone was the slowest/hardest part, but just put on your meticulous hat and some tunes or something, and it's not so bad. 2 one hour curing periods for glue, then back in the car for a sound test. Sounds great! Well, sounds like it did originally anyway :) the JBL system in a 2007 SR5 is not an out of this world sound system to begin with, but solid and good enough for a vehicle like the Tree (which has a lot of road noise anyway).
$250 for a Kenwood Excelon DPX395MBT head unit (mostly to add bluetooth), with the ready-made wiring harnesses and mounting kit from Crutchfield.
$30 for the foam surrounds replacement kit from Simply Speakers.
$280 in all, and we're very happy with a fairly cheap fix & update of the Tree's sound.