Seattle 2006 SR5

Greg Gibson

Jan 5, 2018
Seattle, WA
I'd like to introduce myself and my Sequoia to the forum and thank the founders for this awesome resource. I've learned so much reading through these build threads - so thanks!

This is my second Sequoia. I bought one new in 2004 and had to pass it on but bought this 2006 a couple of years ago. I spent a long time researching and debating a switch to the Landruiser platform but decided I liked the looks and extra room of the Sequoia so started researching what could be done to make it more optimized for camping and capable offroad.

At 150k miles the stock suspension was truly horrible offroad so that was my first big project. I wanted something high end that was rebuildable and adjustable. For the front, I chose Fox 2.5" coil overs with CDC and also installed the SPC UCA. The improvement was dramatic. The rear is a work in progress... I'm currently running OME2862 springs with the Dobinson GS59-685 shocks.

My lastest project was installing Stubbs welding rock sliders. I'd done some project welding many years ago but no longer had any welding equipment. The sliders seemed like the perfect opportunity to re-invest.

2018Apr-6423.jpg
Looking toward Mt Stuart from Lt. Murray wildlife area

2018Jun-6658.jpg
Camped near Surgarloaf Lookout on WA BCDR

Here's a list of the current mods -

Tires, Wheels:
  • 285/70/17 BFG KM3 tires
  • Method Racing wheels - MR309 Grid - 17x8.5", 0mm offset
Front Suspension
  • Fox 2.5 RR CDC coil overs
  • SPC UCA - spc 25485
  • Toytek diff drop kit
Rear Suspension
  • OME 2863 springs - 250lb/in linear
  • Dobinson GS59-685 shocks
  • Rear trailing arms: bent the stock ones and replaced with Rokeman RM 43017PRO (Thanks to Jim Smola for finding those!)
  • Panhard bar end relocated up 3" using Toytek PRD-1 bracket
Armor
  • Rock sliders - Stubbs Welding
  • Skid plates from Skid Row
    • TA-1006 oil pan skid
    • TA-1002 transmission skid plates
Overlanding
  • Rhino Rack 4210B Pioneer Platform roof rack
  • Alu-cab Gen3 Expedition RTT
  • James Baroud 8' awning - soon to be Alu-cab Shawdow Awn 270 degree
  • ARB outback drawers: RD1045, RDRF1045
  • custom sleeping platform that extends surface from output drawers

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin pritchett

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
Hey Greg! Welcome to the forum. You have a really nice truck! It looks really clean. How do you like the Rhino Rack platform?

Greg Gibson

Jan 5, 2018
Seattle, WA
Thanks mulze42! I'm really impressed with Rhino Rack - very well engineered with tons of available brackets for everything you can think to mount on the rack. Almost no wind noise. Definitely dropped my gas mileage a bit though.
Rhino Rack does not directly support the Sequoia as they don't have Sequoias in Australia so we made custom "L" brackets out of 0.25" angle aluminum to mount the rack to the factory rack. In the future, I'd like to delete the factory rack and use Gobi or custom mounts.

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
If you were to go custom brackets if you look on Tacoma world for DIY prinsu rack some people use square aluminum tube to mount their brackets onto the roof itself. That might be a viable option.

Greg Gibson

Jan 5, 2018
Seattle, WA
Today's project was installing some under armor from Skid Row - TA-1006 oil pan skid and TA-1002 transmission skid plates. These are nice quality pieces but I was really bummed out when I read the instructions for the oil pan and it stated in the first line that it won't work with the factory front skid plate. I decided to install the tranny skid first and see how things looked. Tranny skid utilized existing bolt holes for the front and required drilling two 3/8" holes through the tranny cross member for the rear mounts. Ended up being easy and working quite well.
With that finished, I tried to test fit the oil pan plate. Even without the factory front skid plate, tt wouldn't fit due to my diff drop kit. However... after reinstalling the factory front skid, the Skid Row oil plan plate fits perfect over the top of the factory front skid.
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out... I just had to ignore the installation instructions and everything ended up good :)

IMG_3865.JPG

McConnell-Hand

Feb 23, 2017
Land of entrapment. Albuquerque NM
That is a nice rig Greg. I really enjoy the fact that you read the instructions, and then went with a good-ol' fashioned F-it work ethic. Usually when that happens people make some pretty cool stuff. I really like the flat load bike rack with some really beautiful bikes on the back. Cheers to a good ride.

cyclocentric

Jun 16, 2020
@Greg Gibson I am also curious about the platform brackets you made. Also, which size Pioneer Platform are you running? The size of your platform looks great, nice rig.