Silverback Sequoia UPDATE PG 2!

silverback04

Recognized Member
Jan 9, 2017
So just into the plastic or into the metal part of the bumper? Looking to do this to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
into the plastic, once you remove the factory fog lamp, you will see a small valley/ dip in thwe bumper, thats where i drilled the hole straight down.

silverback04

Recognized Member
Jan 9, 2017
well its been a while i posted, I got the itch to change the front of silverback but with a baby on the way i couldn't justify spending $1k plus on my dream Brute force bumper. So i started to think and see how can i make my front end more aggressive, Get more clearance, and not break the bank. I got my inspiration from Sals front bumper build and a few other custom 4runner bumpers and came up with a prerunner style bumper.

First i started by follwing Sal write up and relocating the Power steering cooler. since the factory bumper was going to be removed the PS mount is actually welded to the factory bumper. I went with an aftermarket cooler and position it in from of the Trans cooler.

Then i started to create the new bumper out of card board . This was a lot of work, measure twice cut once and so on.

Once i had the right set up i purchase the metal at a local shop and got to work. Cuting and welding.

kept using card board to make the shapes of the support brackets for the winch plate. Then cut them out of the metal and tack it in place.

Once i got all three done i went to Harbor Freight and picked up the winch plate mount for $50. Tacked in place.

With that done i went back to the Metal shop and picked up some 3/16 thick metal tubing, took it down to my friends shop and bent them to create the top portion of the bumper.

Then began to make the support bars and got everything welded together including led light bar tab mounts.

Now i removed the bumper and sanded it down smoothing everything down and primer the whole thing. Next up was to black out the parts behind the bumper and trim the fender liners to clean up the area.

I ended up going with Duplicolor Bed Armor bed liner spray, i figured once on the trail when i get anyt scratches i can always touch them up at home. I gave the bumper 4 solid coats and let it dry in this beautiful Florida HEAT.

The results speaks for themselves.

After all it said and done im very happy with the turn out. It was a lot of work and i truly understand the vendor price points now. Took me 3-4 weeks working after work on the bumper.

Now that i have more experience in fabing this bumper my friends are already asking me when the rear bumper will get build............

Reactions: Jgrauman

Hirsch328

Jan 15, 2017
Just curious. What amperage welder are you using for all this? I want to buy one for building stuff for my tree but anything affordable just seems like too low of amperage

silverback04

Recognized Member
Jan 9, 2017
Just curious. What amperage welder are you using for all this? I want to buy one for building stuff for my tree but anything affordable just seems like too low of amperage
i used a eastwood 135 welder with argon mixture gas. Max thickness is 3/16 with solid wire and 1/4 of an inch with flux wire core.

silverback04

Recognized Member
Jan 9, 2017
Finally got around to build my 3/16" custom skid plate for my bumper. It took me a couple of days but it was well worth it.

silverback04

Recognized Member
Jan 9, 2017
update!

I was able to do a complete OME lift front and rear
Rear is 2865 springs with 60003 shocks
Front is 2886 (super stiff spring) with 90004 shocks
i ordered my parts from Josh aka https://www.1stgenoffroad.com

Here are some pics after install

Over all with my 285/70/17 terra grappler tires , from the center of the fender to the ground i got 39" front and rear.

Reactions: Lonestar

SoCalG789

Feb 21, 2019
El Monte CA
Love the build. Gonna try to learn a lot from your posts. Question, when you ordered your lift did you order a specific kit or did you pick n choose exactly what you wanted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: silverback04