Twiggy build thread - 2006 Limited

grantbwilson

Feb 6, 2021
Hello,

Nice to be here, thanks for having me.

After more than a year of casual looking, I came across this 2006 Sequoia Limited 4x4 on auto trader for a decent price. It was owned by a family out in the middle of nowhere. They used it to shuttle their 2 boys to and from hockey. Lots of highway miles, but they took really good care of it. Guy's wife cried when I bought it. I promised them it was in good hands, and he was going to get a new lease on life.
IMG_0968.jpeg
It came with this bush guard on the front. It's not really tough, and seems like it was just there to mount the KC lights on. The lights are weak af incandescent things. They're toast. Since the bumper wasn't real, it had to go too. People I know call these "Damage Multipliers". If you bump into a tree or something, it will bend the whole bar in and wreck everything.

I took them side steps off while I was at it.

IMG_1004.jpegIMG_1001.jpeg

It's a limited with the bucket seats in the 2nd row, and the rear height adjustable suspension. When talking to the seller, I asked if anything had ever been replaced in the air suspension, and he said no. I knew I was going to have to deal with it sooner or later.

Well, sooner happened to be the case. Right after I brought it home we had some -30C weather, and the compressor was not happy. I ordered a Dobinsons kit right away. It gets here tomorrow. I've been looking at videos of guys doing the swap, it looks pretty easy. I bought the Dobinsons 2.5" lifting springs to go in, but haven't bought shocks yet. The ones in there look good, the bushings look brand new. We'll see how it rides, but I'll most likely put in some Dobinsons shocks to match the springs.

Before summer I'm going to level the front, also with Dobinsons gear. Should look pretty sick. A diff drop kit as well. Anything else I should do to keep it reliable?

After that, 33" KO2s and some new wheels. Gonna go with ProComp crawlers because I want the black, simple look. I can't stand all the brodozer wheels out there (FUEL etc). I'd like to go a bit wider than stock, could use some help there.

The frame is in great condition. Not sure if it was replaced, but it looks like it. A little rust around the rear fenders under the back doors. I'll have to keep an eye on it. So far, working under the truck, I've eaten a lot of crud. It's seen a few winters and a few salty roads, that's for sure.

Eventually, once all that is worked out, a rear locker and new gearing if it needs it.

Of course all the DIY overloading ideas I can come up with as well! I'm planning a rear switch panel with LED lighting for the back area. Going to building a bed in there that sits on top of the middle row when it's folded down. That leaves me enough room underneath for storage, and eventually a drawer system.

I think before summer 2022 it will have a dual battery setup, and a high-output alternator. I want a RedArc setup but gat damn they are expensive. If I could mount a permanent solar panel up on the basket somehow that would be dope.

Here's a crudely photoshopped pic I did of what I want it to look like, but with black wheels. I'm gonna black out the badges once the KO2s are on. That TURD sticker I designer myself :).
Image 2021-02-22 at 19.27.jpg
I'll post here as I go. Any tips or better ideas I'd love to talk about them.

Cheers!
Grant

Reactions: Jgrauman

zasdds

Feb 23, 2019
What did you do with the grill guard? Call me crazy, but I love the look and can't seem to find one for the '05-07 front end refresh. What brand/model is it? I also have an '06 limited with future plans to do away with the air suspension. Your mock-up looks to be heading in the right direction!

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
Hello,

Nice to be here, thanks for having me.

After more than a year of casual looking, I came across this 2006 Sequoia Limited 4x4 on auto trader for a decent price. It was owned by a family out in the middle of nowhere. They used it to shuttle their 2 boys to and from hockey. Lots of highway miles, but they took really good care of it. Guy's wife cried when I bought it. I promised them it was in good hands, and he was going to get a new lease on life.
View attachment 2142
It came with this bush guard on the front. It's not really tough, and seems like it was just there to mount the KC lights on. The lights are weak af incandescent things. They're toast. Since the bumper wasn't real, it had to go too. People I know call these "Damage Multipliers". If you bump into a tree or something, it will bend the whole bar in and wreck everything.

I took them side steps off while I was at it.

View attachment 2143View attachment 2144

It's a limited with the bucket seats in the 2nd row, and the rear height adjustable suspension. When talking to the seller, I asked if anything had ever been replaced in the air suspension, and he said no. I knew I was going to have to deal with it sooner or later.

Well, sooner happened to be the case. Right after I brought it home we had some -30C weather, and the compressor was not happy. I ordered a Dobinsons kit right away. It gets here tomorrow. I've been looking at videos of guys doing the swap, it looks pretty easy. I bought the Dobinsons 2.5" lifting springs to go in, but haven't bought shocks yet. The ones in there look good, the bushings look brand new. We'll see how it rides, but I'll most likely put in some Dobinsons shocks to match the springs.

Before summer I'm going to level the front, also with Dobinsons gear. Should look pretty sick. A diff drop kit as well. Anything else I should do to keep it reliable?

After that, 33" KO2s and some new wheels. Gonna go with ProComp crawlers because I want the black, simple look. I can't stand all the brodozer wheels out there (FUEL etc). I'd like to go a bit wider than stock, could use some help there.

The frame is in great condition. Not sure if it was replaced, but it looks like it. A little rust around the rear fenders under the back doors. I'll have to keep an eye on it. So far, working under the truck, I've eaten a lot of crud. It's seen a few winters and a few salty roads, that's for sure.

Eventually, once all that is worked out, a rear locker and new gearing if it needs it.

Of course all the DIY overloading ideas I can come up with as well! I'm planning a rear switch panel with LED lighting for the back area. Going to building a bed in there that sits on top of the middle row when it's folded down. That leaves me enough room underneath for storage, and eventually a drawer system.

I think before summer 2022 it will have a dual battery setup, and a high-output alternator. I want a RedArc setup but gat damn they are expensive. If I could mount a permanent solar panel up on the basket somehow that would be dope.

Here's a crudely photoshopped pic I did of what I want it to look like, but with black wheels. I'm gonna black out the badges once the KO2s are on. That TURD sticker I designer myself :).
View attachment 2145
I'll post here as I go. Any tips or better ideas I'd love to talk about them.

Cheers!
Grant
Looks good, with those springs you will definitely need longer shocks, the factory springs are too short and much more stiff to deal with thr air bags. Go ahead and get the shocks ordered.

Charlie

Sep 23, 2017
Aberdeen, North Carolina
What did you do with the grill guard? Call me crazy, but I love the look and can't seem to find one for the '05-07 front end refresh. What brand/model is it? I also have an '06 limited with future plans to do away with the air suspension. Your mock-up looks to be heading in the right direction!
Check out Brute Force Fab or MOVE bumpers